Instructional Technology & Formation
Role of Technology
By itself, technology in learning is of little benefit. However, when tools and learning strategies are designed and blended in ways which expand our potential to learn, we give meaning to the technology.
Technology and Today’s Students
The Internet, games, and social networking are part of people’s everyday lives, and this has changed student expectations. People expect increased levels of group communication, feedback, and links to additional resources to help them learn.
Benefits of Online Formation Resources
Due to the demands of ministry work, staff may not feel that they have the luxury of attending formal schooling or workshops. Online formational materials can help fill this gap, being available to a wide audience anyplace, anytime. Since Vincentians are constantly called upon to “give” in the course of their day, it is important that they be able to receive, even if only a five-minute video or an inspirational quote, to sustain their sense of ministry.
Many studies show that learning effectiveness increases when the following qualities are present:
- Active engagement
- Participation in groups
- Frequent interaction and feedback
- Connection to real-world experts
These are the very qualities that web-based tools are built to support. Even with all of its convenience and portability, the online classroom is still seen by many as lacking the human “connectivity” of face-to-face courses. However, Web 2.0 technology includes a number of communication tools which connect people more effectively and allow them to share information, ideas, and opinions almost instantaneously. These tools include wikis, blogs, videoblogs, digital video, webcasts, podcasts, instant messaging, social bookmarking, and asynchronous audio communication (just to name a few!). Use of this technology contributes to more “interpersonal” online classrooms and enhances connectivity and collaboration between students and instructors.
Keeping Our Heritage Alive
Our Vincentian heritage and culture differentiate us from other groups or social service agencies working with the poor. Formation in Vincentian Spirituality addresses the unique mission of the Vincentian, and the special demands placed on us in our vocation.
Online Learning as a Complement to Traditional Methods
Delivering a portion of materials online gives the learners private time for study and reflection about the content and issues, in preparation for the next assignment or the next live session. And, sometimes a more reserved student who would not normally speak up in a classroom setting, will feel comfortable expressing their perspectives in writing through blogging or wikis.
Famvin Templates & Services
We provide re-usable templates for creating online formation resources. You supply the content particular to your organization or branch of the Vincentian Family. For examples, see our history timelines, or Vincentian games. We are here to support you in adopting new innovations in formation. Contact us with any requests.
Back to top
famvin.org Family of Websites
Famvin News is:
- a website promoting mutual awareness of how the charism is being lived today across the Vincentian Family
- a way of attracting new followers of Vincent and Louise
- a source for best practices of improving the life of the marginalized
- a way for us to become aware of potential collaborators
Target group: those who share a concern for the integral development of the poor.
VinFormation (this website) is:
- an environment for online teaching and learning for Vincentians
- a way for us to collaborate for formation
- a new, interactive way to present the research and writings of our charism specialists
- a source for Vincentian media, games, simulations and other formation resources
- a source for templates, adaptable for various audiences (examples: history timelines, games)
- a convenient way to incorporate new technology into your formation programs
- offering courses, and online mentoring in the Vincentian charism using video conferencing
Target group: all Vincentians, particularly those who wish to minister in the Vincentian tradition.
Vincentian Encyclopedia (Wiki)
The Vincentian Encyclopedia is a cooperative way to compile and share reliable Vincentian reference information via the internet.
Target group: those seeking Vincentian information.
- bringing Vincentians together in a Facebook-like online community, one that is designed and dedicated especially for Vincentians
- a way you can connect with others who share similar interests, ministries, ideas (via group discussion forums)
- a central Vincentian communications hub, that gathers in one place: live Twitter feeds, Facebook streams, Flickr, and more from across the Family branches.
Target group: all Vincentians, particularly those who have grown up in the digital era.
Back to top
Introduction to Social Media Tools for Vincentians
New to social media? Let famvin help you learn the tools!
Famvin Online Conferencing
Visit this link for information on setting up an online conference using our secure ooVoo conferencing service.
Lend or contribute to sustainable economic development projects in Haiti.
Vincentians on Facebook and Twitter
Click here for a list of Vincentians and Family branches who are on Facebook and Twitter.
Vincentians and New Media
Click here for a listing of Vincentian material on YouTube, GodTube, a listing of available Podcasts, and more.
Back to top
Back to top
Other Pages in Category: Using Technology for Formation